State Police re-organization and restructuring, policy updates

Once Elected Governor, do you have any plans on fixing what’s wrong with the State Police?

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @pappymays58 . Thanks for the question. I’m sure @SMarshallWilson will reply when he sees this.

2 Likes

is there a specific thing you would like to see addressed?

1 Like

Glad you asked, I would like to see the ones in my area of Nicholas County do their jobs. Way too many cases that were never thoroughly investigated. Should I go on?

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, Mr. Mays.
Yes, Sir.
To begin with, I have selected an excellent candidate for Colonel of the WV State Police. As you know, personnel is policy. In other words, if you place the correct people, especially in key leadership positions, they will form good policy. This candidate has already committed to me to restructure the WVSP upon constitutional principles, to professionalize the force, to hold personnel accountable to the Constitution, WV Law, and department policies.
As Governor, I will engage directly with the Colonel as well as with his team in the same way that I, as a unit commander in combat, engaged directly with my staff to execute more than our assigned missions, account for all of our equipment, and bring every single one of our Soldiers home.
I hope I have at least framed a valid response to your question.
To better respond, I would need more information about your specific concerns.
Thank you, Sir.
Very respectfully,

Marshall

2 Likes

Thanks for your response, sir, your answer is exactly what I was expecting and wanting to hear from you. The police in my area have lost their way, even worse they may have never been taught how to “protect and serve” they do not have the trust of the people. They do not know how to communicate with us at all, their investigative technique is only self-serving, many cases fall by the wayside or are written off as suicides when it’s a homicide. There are many cases like this in my area and surrounding areas. Most of the folks like me feel that the police are crooked and not to be trusted. I never wanted to believe such things; however, my amiture investigations have led me to know this to be true. I can get into explicit details in a private message setting if you want. You said you got the right Colonel for you, that’s good, do you have the right Colonel for the people? one that’s strong and courageous that would be able to tell you what you need to hear, or be a yes man? I think after you get there make the decision to keep, or replace, educate, or change. If you have to pick a new Colonel, use a panel. In my opinion sir to have the position filled before your elected, well you are the same as your predecessors.

1 Like

Let me add that an additional component to this situation is interaction with the Sheriffs.
Police are hired by the government; sheriffs, by the People.
I have made a habit, in each leadership position I have ever held, from pastor, to commander, to husband/dad, to manager, I always surround myself with people who will challenge my pre-suppositions. As I told the leaders who worked for me in the Company I commanded in Iraq, “Do not let me make bad decisions. Our job is too important for you to let me run off half-cocked.”

The only way I could be “the same as my predecessors” is if I choose a Colonel using the same criteria they used.
I do not share their principles or criteria.

Based on that I agree; and if there’s anything I can do to help in your future position as Governor please contact me.

1 Like

Thank you, Sir.
We need all the help we can get in our signature campaign.
Because I am not with a "major party (Rep/Dem), we must collect thousands of signatures on petitions to have my name placed on the 2024 General Election ballot.
I would be profoundly grateful if you would join that effort.
@Catherine is the leader of that operation, and she can fill you in on how it works.
Thank you very much.
Very respectfully,

Marshall

Not that Marshall needs the affirmation, but I guarantee you that he will not hire “yes men”. He repeatedly encourages those who surround him to challenge his ideas or conclusions. If he has selected someone, it is because he thinks that they are the best choice, and I have no qualms about the choice.
My 2 cents.

3 Likes

Thanks, Scott.
Coming from one of the folks who regularly has to explain things to me, that carries weight.

1 Like